Friday, August 31, 2012

Cabbage and Chicken Soup

So when I first started this blog, I was saying how I wanted to get back to the old me.

One of the things I said I would like to do again, was create my own recipes.

Tonight I did just that.  I looked in our fridge (it is getting close to that time where we go and get groceries! the fridge is looking bare) and saw that I still had cabbage.  I honestly didn't know what I was going to do with it, but I figured I should use it before it went bad.  So I made soup.  This was the very first time I ever created a soup recipe.  It was the first time I ever made soup without following someone elses instructions very carefully.  It was a little saltier than I liked, but still yummy.  We had it for lunch, and again for dinner.  When I went to reheat it for dinner, I added in more water and it mellowed the salt to a perfect flavor!

Cabbage and Chicken Soup

1/2 a head of cabbage, torn up into pieces
1 large potato, skinned and chopped into bite size pieces
6 cups of water
1 chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
1 chicken bullion cube (I used 2... and it was waaaaaay too salty, so I am guessing 1 would be good, or more water)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp black pepper

Put the torn up cabbage, potato pieces, water, bullion, oregano, and basil into a pot.  Turn on the burner on med-high heat until it starts to boil.  When it starts boiling, turn it down to low-med heat.  While it is heating up, cook the chicken breast pieces in a pan (or grill them, or whatever method you want to use to cook the pieces.  Or you could use cooked chicken and just tear it up).  Sprinkle the black pepper over the chicken while it is cooking.  Add to the pot when it is cooked almost all the way through.  It can finish cooking in the soup.  I let my soup cook for about 35-40 minutes.  My potatoes were tender, and my cabbage was perfect.

For fun I added some croutons to my soup, kind of like mushy dumplings lol.  I am weird like that, but I found them delicious!

The next time I make this, I think I will add a little garlic, some sliced carrots, and celery.  Maybe another potato as well.

It came out really great though, so for my first time, I am feeling very proud :D Josh had multiple helpings, and Evee stole some of mine :)

No comments: