Wednesday, October 17, 2012

!0 things I never knew about pregnancy and babies.


So recently one of my friends has gotten pregnant (well not too recently, she is due in a couple months haha) and she asked me what to expect.  This had me thinking a bit, and I decided to make this list.

I think most women growing up, get a basic idea on what to expect when they are pregnant.  Pickles and ice cream, a big belly, eating a ton, and then a beautiful baby!  What a great experience :D

Well, while most of that is true... there are some other things I thought I would mention...

In no particular order of shock or surprise, here is my list of things that I never knew about pregnancy, giving birth, and having a baby :)

1.  Heartburn.  This didn't set in until about 7 months, but once it was there... it was intense.  Tums were my best friends.  It happened daily, especially at night.  Sometimes it was so bad that I felt bile in my throat.  I actually ended up googling "can you overdose on tums?" because I was taking them so often.  Turns out, too many of them is not good for you.  I did fine though :) I kept it in the appropriate limit, and alternated with some baking soda water (gross, but better than heartburn!)

2. Swollen feet.  It did not matter if I was off of them for a few hours, put them up on pillows, or anything.  My feet were freaking huge.  About a month after giving birth, I looked at my feet, and shrieked to Joshua "OMG I have skeleton feet!!!"  They were back to normal :)

3.  Hemorrhoids.  Itchy sometimes painful giant (well it feels giant) sacks of blood sicking out of your asshole (I don't mean your man either ladies, and excuse the language...).  I tried witch hazel, and mothers love roid balm, and some other products and suggestions.  It did not help me get rid of them, but it did help relieve symptoms :) Make sure you eat a TON of fiber.

4.  Headaches.  I didn't know that being pregnant could cause massive headaches.  Some so bad that you feel dizzy feel like you are going to pass out.  Now of course, not everyone experiences this... but I had the luck to be part of those that do.  I never drank much caffeine before I was pregnant, but after trying a few different things, I went to my doctor, and she suggested it.  I was shocked.  Everything I have ever read said no caffeine, bad mom, no caffeine!  So it surprised me a lot when she told me to try to have a cup of coffee whenever I got a headache.  It worked though.  She explained that it would get blood going to my brain and help relieve the tension.  I hated the dirty looks I got from people, but it was this or pass out on the floor at work :) so I took it!

5. Water breaking.  It is not like the movies.  In fact, most women don't have their waters break on their own.  Mine however decided to break.  I had no idea though.  I thought I had peed myself, which was very depressing since I had not done so the entire pregnancy (lucky me! it is pretty common to do so).  I was walking up our sidewalk to the porch of our apartment when it happened.  It was warm, wet, and seriously felt just like I was peeing, except I couldn't stop it.  I stood there for a second terrified that someone would see me and realize what I was doing.  Then I walked up the couple flights of stairs, saw our roommate in the corner on his computer, ran up the next flight of stairs to our bedroom, and immediately texted Joshua.  At this point I am still thinking I peed myself.  So to test it, I go to the bathroom.  I had what felt like a full bladder, so then I really thought it must be my water.  Not wanting to tell anyone else though, in case it was pee, I wanted to do more tests.  I had texted Joshua "don't panic, my water might have just broken."  So what did he do?  he panicked a little :) He asked me if he needed to come home (he was at work) and I told him not yet, I was doing experiments.  Yes, that was the thing to tell him to calm him down.  I am a genius.  I decided to put a towel between my legs to see if I kept leaking.  If I did, I would assume it was not pee, and go to the hospital.  Finally I told him okay, I think it was, come home, and he did :)

6.  Water breaking pt 2.  This is a whole different situation than #5.  I assumed that once my water broke, and it all came out, it would be done.  Wrong.  Everytime I stood up, or did anything, or even just laying there, there would be a sudden gush of liquid.  It was sticky and uncomfortable.  The nurses changed my towels often, but I felt bad asking.  At the same time, I was really feeling gross.  I was in labor for 16 hours, so fun.  I finally asked when it would stop, I couldn't imagine that I could possibly hold that much liquid in my body.  They then told me that it continues to make it.  awesome.  thank you world for preparing me for that.

7.  IV meds and the epidural.  I went into labor around 1pm, and gave birth at 4:21am.  I did good until around midnight, and then I was exhausted.  My contractions were just bad enough to keep me awake, but not bad enough that I wanted the epidural.  Having a needle taped to my back (inserted and taped to my back) was not something I wanted unless I had to have it.  The nurse told me though, if I wanted, I could have IV meds.  She said they would just help me sleep.  They did so much more than that.  They took hold immediately.  I felt so light and happy, and I fell asleep.  I woke up though, with really bad contractions.  It was the most horrible experience.  I would wake up, in extreme pain, and then fall back asleep instantly as soon as it subsided.  But then it would happen again.  Being yanked in and out of sleep without feeling like you have any control is nuts.  Finally, I couldn't take it any longer.  Around 2ish I asked for the epidural.  Here is the next part of #7 :)  No one ever told me that to get the epidural, you first have to have two iv bags full of a special liquid, pumped into your body.  It took about an hour for them to get in my body.  They activate with the epidural apparently.  Then we had to wait for a specific doctor to come up and put the needle in my back.  After all of that was done, they told me it would take about 15 minutes to kick in.  So almost an hour and a half from the moment I couldn't take anymore, until there was relief.  But it wasn't relief, not completely anyway.  I know all labors are different, but this is what mine felt like.  Severe period cramps, mixed in with constipation cramps.  So bad that you want to buckle over and cry.  I did not want to wait an hour.  I wanted relief.  Well the epidural got rid of the cramping, which was wonderful, but I could still feel an intense pressure (similar to constipation) that was quite unpleasant.  It honestly just felt like I had to poop.  So make sure you learn about medicine before you take it! The last part of #7 is when the IV meds are still in you after you have the baby.  I have very hazy memories of the moments after my daughter was born.  I remember pushing, I remember kissing her head.  Then she was taken away, and I was being sewn up a little.  I don't remember holding her after she was cleaned or anything.  It makes me very sad.  But at least I remember the first moment I saw her.  Better than nothing I guess.

8.  You bleed after you give birth.  I thought we were just lucky and didn't get our periods for 9 months.  Wrong.  That blood all comes out after you give birth.  I was lucky and only bled about 4-5 weeks, but some women go 8 weeks bleeding.  Make sure you stock up at the hospital on the heavy duty pads!  Especially the blue diaper like ones.  So comfy!  and offer so much protection when you sleep.  You aren't supposed to use tampons, so seriously, stock up!

9.  Some women cant breastfeed.  I feel so ignorant that I ever thought formula fed babies were only done so because the parent chose to do so.  This is not the case!  Some women are physically unable, or their babies wont.  My baby had really bad jaundice when she was born.  I kept trying to feed her, but she would not latch.  I had to pump and give her a bottle for a while.  She had some formula too.  Finally after a month or so she started nursing, and I still nurse her in the mornings now that she is 13 months old, just starting the weaning process.  However I no longer feel any ill will towards any mom that chooses, or has to formula feed.  Everyone is different.

10.  Projectile poop.  I did not realize babies could projectile poop.  One day, when Evee was just a month or so old, I was changing her diaper.  I heard a loud rip, and knew she had just passed some massive gas.  I looked down at Joshs leg, a foot away from us, and saw a splatter of baby poop on him. we looked at the bed, and there was nothing on it.  nothing on her diaper.  nothing on me.  She shot it right out and over a foot away.  That's my girl!

So those are the 10 things that sprang to mind.
As I was writing this though, I thought of a couple other things.
I am not going to give them numbers, but just give a brief mention.

* A baby can cuddle up on one side of your belly.  Picture waking up, and half of your belly is just as flat as it was before the baby, and the other half looks like a giant easter egg is hiding under your shirt.  Completely lopsided, and freaky.
* Do not buy a nursing bra until after you give birth.  I was a 32 A.  Bought a 24 B while I was pregnant.  Bought a 36 C after I had her.  Most recently I got an E.  I look at my A bras in pity these days.
* If you can, freeze meals ahead of time!  Makes things easier on you, and on the dad or other caregivers!
* second hand is perfectly fine, and much cheaper!  That leaves you with more money to get things that she will keep forever, brand new.
* All kids develop differently.  Don't worry too much.  Evee is 13 months with only 2 teeth.  She knows how to do itsy bitsy spider, high five, kiss, patty cake, where several body parts are, and how to raise the roof.
*if they can grab it, it will go in their mouth.
* buy hats with the velcro straps if you want them to stay on.
* don't forget, you may have gone through the labor, but your partner has gone through something too.  don't expect support if you aren't going to return it (I love you so much Joshua <3 for all you do for us).

:) have a lovely day!  Oh and here are some pictures!


Creepy sono that we think looks just like the con from transformers :)


22 weeks pregnant :)


27 weeks pregnant


on IV meds, and very, very out of it.  Joshua loves this picture.


Evelyn Autumn Jade :) <3


My family <3


So much personality, even from the first day.
She still has her tongue out all the time :)


Admiring his girls :) I love this picture.
I just looked up, and this was what I saw.
I didn't want to forget that moment, so I took a photo.


Joshua and his daughter.


Thank you for reading my blog!
Remember that what I posted is from my own personal experience.
While some things listed will happen to everyone, others will not.
For me though, I would rather know what might happen, just so I can prepare.
!!!!

No comments: